Monday, October 25, 2010

Muraho Kigali!

I arrived. It is very strange but it feels like a second home. Do not fear, I am taking my medication and being cautious but I am very comfortable and happy here.

I arrived Saturday night and was greeted at the airport by Benjamin, Dadi, Denis, Marc and Kharim. It was so nice to see them. They all commented on my weight saying that I have disappeared and one even asked where my bum went. I have only lost 10 lb but I was not expecting such a response. I am sad to report but I have fallen out of Rwandese supermodel status. It was a sad day in Kigali for me.

After I arrived Saturday, the PLP guys took me to drop off my luggage and then for tea at “The Land of a Thousand Hills Coffee” formerly know as “Star CafĂ©.” Not sure of the purpose of the name change but thought it was worth mentioning. I was surprisingly not as tired as I expected - especially since I slept for four days last time but I think that was more of a “what the f did you do?” rather than tiredness.

Sunday was great as well. I went to church in the morning (love the music) and the whole time I was reflecting on where I was emotionally last time I was here and where I am today. I am so thankful to God for all that He has done to help heal my heart. At church I was able to meet up with a couple more friends and catch-up with Herve and Joel. After church, I was able to hangout with Angel and Dadi. I am so happy to see all of them. I know it has only been five months since my last trip so I should not have expected anything to be different but it really isn’t. We started off right where we ended.

Sunday evening Benjamin, my colleague from AWF, invited me to his house for dinner. He was recently married so was very excited to have me over to share dinner with him and experience his wife, Jane’s, cooking. Unbeknownst to me, his whole family was there! Luckily a couple family members spoke English and Denis was there as my sidekick – per usual! I was very impressed with Jane’s cooking. I have never liked African tea but she made me a cup and I actually finished it! I was very surprised; usually I can only have a sip and try to mix up the cups so no one can tell it is mine. It is offensive not to finish.

So, the first weekend was eventful and I am ashamed to admit that I miss being called "fat" because it was a compliment. Haha, yes I know I am crazy, but positive affirmation is one of my primary love languages so I can not be surprised. Other than that, I have a week full of events planned for UBUMWE and look forward to getting started. And, I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THE KIDS (from Prison Fellowship). I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment