Monday, February 8, 2010

Ahhh...Africa

Today was an "ahhhhh Africa" day even though I am not supposed to say that. I am not supposed to say that I am in Africa, I am supposed to say that I am in Rwanda. Africans are all very different and their countries are different so they do not like when people say they are in Africa or make huge generalizations like that...but this is my blog and they were hating on my people (in a joking way) so I can hate on theirs (in a joking half-serious way).

I was so annoyed today. I am trying to get all of the details of the camp finalized and it is proving difficult. It will happen and it will be a huge success but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. "What is your contribution?" - seriously? like seriously? What is my contribution? My contribution is an empty bank account, a lot of unnecessary stress, and my heart....for your people, your countries future...not mine, yours. Some people here see white and see dollar signs. It's annoying and it's getting old. After a whole day of meetings last week with Marc or Innocent leading, I was not asked once for money for the program but today, when I was leading the meeting with a quieter friend, I was asked what my contribution would be because of the "wear and tear" of the courts....the outdoor, broken down courts. I told him in the meeting that it was a possibility but called him immediately after and told him it was not an option. I have volunteered to coach their women's team a couple nights a week for the length of the program or a class regarding business plans / entreprenurship...I refuse to pay money just because I am white. It's ridiculous. They can see my bank account and credit card bill if they need proof!

But, besides that, had a big meeting today regarding Walk to Remember and the team looks good. It will take a lot of work but this will be amazing. How do I get involved in these things?!!? I don't get it.

OOO, and it's costing me an extra, unexpected $500 to leave in May...put that on the list of WTFs. But whatever, who needs money anyway?!!?

No comments:

Post a Comment