Saturday, February 13, 2010

UBUMWE Basketball Camp - Day 1

Day 1 / Weekend 1 is complete! Lots of things went wrong but it was awesome (seriously). Being in Rwanda has really taught me to roll with the punches and just figure it out. Despite my constant follow-up and contact, the woman that was supposed to give us the balls was unavailable, the t-shirt factory burnt down in an electrical fire so we did not get the shirts (and will not until Monday), the restaurant did not have transport, the coaches all showed up 45 mins late, the kids showed up an hour late, we had to take one of the four year olds to the hospital two minutes into camp because he came with no skin on his right forearm (literally), and I only applied sunscreen once so look like a tomato BUT, aside from all that, I think the kids really enjoyed themselves.

I really think we can make an impact on these kids lives. Some of them were pretty good and they are very quick learners. It's really impressive. The girls especially did a great job but there were a few guys that played really well. I am really looking forward to tracking their progress. We had 60 kids, 50 that were old enough to coach, and they all seemed really into it. My roommates were so helpful. I do not know how this would have worked without them. I have a ton to improve on in terms of implementation because it could have run a lot smoother but I feel like I was mobile...a lot of things were out of my control but we bounced back well. I'm really looking forward to next week.

Other than camp, I'm really happy. I have some great friends here (miss you all of course!). The PLP guys are just amazing. I have become so close with a couple of them and I just know they will always be a part of my life going forward. I really feel blessed. This has been difficult at times, because I committed to too many things, per usual, but today was one of those days that makes it all worth it. I am just so lucky. I don't know why I do the things I do but I'm liking God's plan. I have to be more trusting...so far, this has been an awesome life and I feel like I am just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment