Thursday, February 11, 2010

It's Almost Time!!!!!!!!

I have so much to report! With the basketball camp coming up this Saturday (T-2 days), I have been running around like crazy making last minute preparations. In my last blog I talked about me having to make a "contribution", and I am happy to report, that all went very well!!! We have the courts for all six weeks for FREE. It was a great lesson for me because I realized that I am capable of handling these types of situations in my own way. I do not need to create some jerk persona to get what I want / need. I met with the headmaster on Tuesday to see the grounds and negotiate what my contribution would be and after a rocky start, it all worked out very well. I realized that in order to get what I need, I have to spend more time with the "target" outside of an office setting. I'm not great in that environment, something I definitely need to improve on. Anyway, after giving me a spiel about how I was not giving him much time and how he needed to clear it with his "board" we went for a walk around the grounds and got to chatting. After a thirty minute convo and promising to give him 10 basketballs for his own program, we walked away in agreement that I would host this camp and any future camps there. My prayers were answered!

So, the camp will take place at Kicukiro College of Technology. Like many other places in Rwanda, this too has ties to the genocide. This college was used as one of military bases for the French troops. Although I do not have the full history, I was told that towards the end of the genocide the French harbored several hundred Tutsi’s who had escaped from the Interwame. This camp was supposed to be a safe haven for survivors but that all changed when the French turned them over to their enemy. As a result of the French militaries actions, or lack thereof, this is the site of mass killings. It is ironic to think that we will be hosting a basketball camp on unity and reconciliation on a mass grave.

Aside from that, the college has beautiful grounds…or the potential to have beautiful grounds. There are multiple basketball courts and soccer fields all over the place. They are all very rundown and barely usable but they have enormous potential. The headmaster had explained to me that before the genocide, the courts and fields were maintained and used on a regular basis but the combination of the genocide and lack of funding has turned it into a wasteland. Yes, if you know me, you know what I am thinking….this is my project!!!! This is my life project for Rwanda. I am going to use this area as the home base for camps and recreation in Kigali. I am going to get funding and rebuild these facilities. It may take ten years but it will get done. The space is perfect. Now, I need a job and a plan…it’ll happen.

Another bball related thing is, fingers-crossed, I think that I got a couple members of the Men’s National team to commit to coming, weekly!!! I am not going to get my hopes up and I am not going to tell the kids until the guys walk through the gate but it will be so great if they follow-through!

That’s it…haha that’s all I got for today. I am exhausted. I actually took a nap today because I legit could not keep my eyes open so I need some rest. Please, please, please send your prayers for a successful day 1 of camp!

Lots o love.

No comments:

Post a Comment