Friday, January 15, 2010

Goodness

People, I have a son. His name is Goodness.

Today I went back to Niboye to give Goodness, the boy who is part of the family we brought food to for the Watchman event, the soccer ball I promised (for more detail see blog: You want me to what?). I went to visit with my friend Kharim, who serves as our translator, and my roommate Rachel. We all sat in their livingroom and a couple of the neighborhood kids came in to check us out and see what was going on. According to Kharim, when the kids asked who I was, Goodness introduced me as his mom. So, it's official, I am a single parent - another character builder.

It was a great day. We hung out there for about an hour and I committed to teaching them all how to play basketball for the next two weeks before they head to boarding school. Goodness said that he does not like basketball but is willing to participate because I am coaching. He is rather entertaining. I wish I could describe the way that he carries himself. When we got to the village, I saw a group of kids about a 100 yds away and I could tell which one was him...must have been my maternal instincts. He has a massive smile and is shy but at the same time very cocky. He had us dying laughing with the comments he was making about Rachel. At 15, he was trying to convince her that she should give him a chance before marrying her fiancé (she just got engaged). Kharim, who is very entertaining, was baiting him on but was forgiven when he whispered to us, how do you heal if you cannot laugh?

I hope everything works out for the camp because I think that it will be a lot of fun. I am coordinating it with the guy who is in charge of the village. He looked to be around my age which means that he was probably 10 during the genocide. He was left alone to raise his brothers and sisters. When he turned around, I noticed he had a massive scar at the bottom of his head above his vertebrae...it was probably 6 or 7 inches long and quite obviously caused by a machete. I can't accurately describe what it is like to be here but moments like that snap you right back to reality. I cannot even imagine what he has witnessed in his lifetime. He was 10 years old. He has those memories. I am sure the are vivid and there is no escaping the horror when it creeps into his mind, that is if it ever fully leaves. He carries that with him. Whatever he saw, the fear he felt seeing the men with the machetes, it is surreal to everyone but the victims. It baffles me. I have been so blessed and these people are so strong.

Other than that, things are moving ahead on all fronts. The new season of screenings and workshops start next week and the radio show and basketball clinic for the street kids are set to launch the first week in February!!!

Please note that I will be sending info on the street kid’s clinic this week and REALLY need your support - REALLY. I need 300 people to donate $20...

Off to the tea plantation tomorrow...I will take TONS of pictures with my fabulous new camera!

LOVE YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment