Sunday, January 10, 2010

Rwanda's Relationship with God

"Before 1994, we used to say God travels the world during the day, but he always returns to sleep in Rwanda. After the genocide, we say God went away -- and he never came back." Paul Rusesabagina, the real-life inspiration for Don Cheadle's character in Hotel Rwanda (quoted at a conference in Canada in 2006)

Taking into account my experiences to date, I would have to disagree with Mr. Rusesabagina and would be interested in learning if he still agrees with his statement three years later. Although there is an incredible amount of pain and suffering still present in the hearts and minds of millions of Rwandan's, progress is being made. The people that I work with everyday are doing God's work. It is amazing to have the opportunity to be a bystander at the AWF workshops and actually see the healing process begin for many of these people. You would have to see it to believe it, but after only three days, a lot of tears and the willingness to testify, the participants whole demeanor changes - even their eyes are brighter. I would be naive to think that is all it takes, but Benjamin and the other instructors are helping to reestablish these people’s relationships with God.

The people I have met here so far are inspirational. Working for a Christian ministry I am exposed to mostly Christians so cannot / should not compare this to the states but people here are so open with their faith. We start the work day with a group prayer, people give thanks to God without hesitation throughout the day and the Bible is quoted whenever applicable (which is more often than I ever knew!). Plus, the people here really know how to pray. I've been praying for 25 years and none of my prayers have ever sounded that good!

All that being said, like everywhere else, not everyone is "saved" and some that claim to be are clearly not based on their actions (I say that in my judgment free zone). But, the ones that are would make most non-believers question their stance after a simple converstation (it's not a southern make everyone convert type of thing).

I am so thankful this experience has given me the opportunity to be in the presence of so many God-fearing young men who have chosen to put their faith in Jesus. It is a sincere commitment which is very refreshing and encourages me to continue to grow in my own faith. I can't believe I was originally set to be home in three weeks...I can't imagine leaving now (although I would like you all to come join me). I changed my flight to June 1st so I will be back in Boston June 3rd...just in time for AJ (almost K's) wedding!!!! So excited.

HUGS.

P.S. Rwandan's do not like the movie Hotel Rwanda because it is not a true representation of what happened. Rumor has it that Paul Rusesabagina charged people to stay at the hotel and when they no longer had the means to pay him, they were kicked out and hacked to death right outside the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment