Friday, January 29, 2010

No Shoes, No Shirt, No problem.

T-7 days until the basketball clinic…still need 50% of the funding but it will come, I know it. Words do not express how excited I am for this camp. The kids are so easily excitable that I am just really looking forward to seeing the joy in their faces. I know there will be a couple pain in the butts thrown into the mix but they add to the experience as well and I end up getting along with them the best anyway. The language barrier will be difficult but I smile in Kinyarwanda so it works. I think one of the most fun parts will be the fact that it will be a barefoot camp…I’ve never played barefoot before! It’s going to be interesting to say the least. I decided that since the kids only have beat up sandals or no shoes at all we are all going to be barefoot. The message of the camp is unity so I’m taking it to the extreme...per usual.

I still have so much to do for the camp but I got myself an assistant. One of the guys in my bible study has a daughter that just graduated from high school and is now waiting to apply for college so he offered her as a potential coach/assistant. She is going to help me with the basics of the camp. She’ll follow-up with the restaurant / transportation company, create the newsletter, and help build the sponsorship deck. I’ll take her to meetings with me and just try to share everything I know. That has really been my focus over the last couple weeks. I am trying to leave everything I’ve got here, go home learn some more and then come back and do the same. There is such an opportunity for us to share our knowledge here…I would love to start a program for Americans who have been working for 3/5 years and want to take a step back. They could come here and teach everything from the principles of business to excel/powerpoint to teenagers and even adults. It’s very rewarding, everyone is looking to learn.

Right now, AWF has slowed down a bit. I finished our materials and am almost done with the budget which is killing me! I got stuck and cannot figure out a part BUT it’s almost done. I just need someone to talk it through with. I’ll probably send it out to a couple people but I need to have it completed by Monday because Walk to Remember stuff has really picked up. We are creating all of our materials and it is very time consuming. The walk is in 68 days in five countries!!! This is by far the biggest project I have ever managed. I actually feel like a boss. I am getting myself ready mentally for our meetings with sponsors and trying to channel Bryant. I have so much faith that this event could be huge. Like, huge. The PLP guys are just brilliant. They have so much experience at such a young age and are just so creative. I love working with them….they are no Gennaro but they are as close as anyone will come to him.

Other than all the work stuff, which is about 95% of my time here now, I am going to Gisenyi Saturday – Monday with my roommates and a couple friends so I’m really looking forward to it – minus the fact that I will be driving. I have so much work to do with Walk to Remember but I am leaving my computer at home…I pray that I can leave my brain there as well. It just does not stop nowadays. The ideas will not leave me alone!!! But, I’m not complaining, I need to learn to find the calm in the chaos of my mind. We shall see…as the Rwandans say, “it is possible.”

That’s all I got…I can’t believe I was originally scheduled to come home Monday. I really love you all, like really but I cannot imagine leaving this place right now. This experience has been such a blessing. I am so lucky.

HUGE HUG.

No comments:

Post a Comment