Saturday, November 14, 2009

Rwanda vs. Zambia 0-0...riveting

Today was a good day...started out a bit rough but took a turn for the better which is always nice.

My five roommates and I went to the Rwanda vs. Zambia football game. It was an intense match-up that resulted in a final score of 0-0.

My observations were as follows:

1. The players don't keep their heads down when they shoot and are incredibly dramatic.
2. Out of 5,000+ spectators, my roommates and I made up six of the approximately 15 women there.
3. Over 75% of the spectators were wearing US hand-me-downs for clothing (one being a Boston shirt).
4. People like to push at sporting events in every country.
5. No one could leave the stadium until el Presidente left.

Overall, it was a great experience. There was dancing, drums and trees...yes, they bring tree branches with leaves on them to create an additional sound that adds to the drum beat.

Speaking of trees...

We had the tree in front of our house cut down this morning and the man's wife showed up half-way through with their two sons to collect the leaves. They were starving and we suspected they were going to turn those leaves into some kind of food or craft. All of their clothes were old and torn and one of their sons didn't even have shoes. We offered them crackers and the whole family took a bunch. There oldest son, who was probably five, was very bright. He was repeating what we said and had the ability to carry on a short conversation in english before he left. It's amazing to think that chances are this five year old will never have the opportunity to truly develop and go to college or even high school.

I know, depressing note to finish with so I will add that I was doing my fair share of staring today (apparently it's appropriate here) and I decided that African's were made to smile...they have such happy faces.

Sending lots of love from Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment