Friday, November 20, 2009

Time's a passing

I'm shocked that it's already Friday; this week went by so fast! I'm feeling good about being here and about the timeframe that I have chosen. I am so excited for all of the opportunities that exist within Rwanda and inspired by the young people here who are doing everything in their power to make their country a better place. Three months is perfect because I believe it will give me the ability to access the needs and come home to use my network to figure out how to implement different projects to fill those needs. My goal is to start some sort of parks and recreation within Rwanda...the kids have NO WHERE to play! There isn't a swing, slide or monkey bars anywhere in this country...no wonder there is so much unrest. If kids don't play together they are only exposed to a very small number of people and usually those that their parents choose and very similar to themselves.

Yes, it's a huge project and I need to make money to support myself and all that jazz but this is possible. I am in the process of putting a document together and hope to figure out some sort of strategy before leaving. At that point, I will come home and pick the brains of the brilliant people I know to get their input on next steps. In order to be successful, it has to be a gov't funded project (I think) but I'm going to work to make the best case that I can. Ideally, I want it to come from the Rwandanese, being here has made me a firm believer that change has to come from within. I am so very pro-America but America needs saving too and all the people looking to change the world are doing just that...looking outside of their own country. The members of PLP are a group of very capable men and women, who, if given the opportunity, will change this country from within. Relying on other nations for all of the funding is a crutch and they understand that. The country and it's people need to feel a sense of ownership.

Other than that, yesterday was busy! We did not have electricity in the morning so I could not write and from 12PM until 1AM I was out. We went to Ingando which is a military school in northern Rwanda near Gisenyi. We showed the two films, As We Forgive and The Long Coat. As you may know, As We Forgive follows the lives of a couple victims and perpetrators on their road to forgiveness and reconciliation. The Long Coat, which is a new film that was produced by a young man here in Rwanda, features his life as a Hutus and the shame associated with the actions of his father and mother. After the films, we had discussion groups and students stand up to ask questions and give their own testimony. Despite being a very closed and private culture, no one has any problem standing up in front of people and telling their story (or singing and dancing).

In terms of landscape, words don't do it justice!!!! We were up near gorilla country and we had to drive down a series of dirt roads to get to the school. After driving through the most beautiful area I have ever seen (and by ever, I mean ever! Yes, more than the backyard in Park City) we opened up to the school which was sitting on a huge lake surrounded by mountains. The thought that "if I were born here, I would never leave" actually crossed my mind (and that's knowing there is little electricity, running water, etc.). The houses were tucked in the trees - which looked like stunted palm trees with huge elephant leafs - surrounded by flowers. It was amazing.

Now, on to Kate, everyone has told me how I will never be the same after this experience. Well people, the change is happening...

1) I only eat one piece of gum at a time and that piece usually lasts an hour or so. Once finished, I rarely go for another piece, I just chill. As a result, it has taken me nine days to finish a pack of gum. Now, you may say to yourself..."she is only doing that because she does not have enough to last"...wrong! I have six packs and my good friend Alexis will let you know that the "normal" Kate would be done with all six about 5 days ago...if she was going to run out or not.

2) I actually only use a dime sized portion of shampoo and conditioner now and it actually works!!! Who would have known that our parents weren't kidding and being cheap...that really is all you need. I have just saved myself a considerable amount of money!

3) I LOVE not having a TV!!! I honestly don't even miss it! Naturally I get tired at 9:30 so I'm usually in bed by 10 and always up by 7 at the latest...usually 6:30. I'm a big fan of the morning.

I'm sure there are more but that's all I got right now...

Feeling good - had my first hot shower today since being here and know that my heart needed this journey. Also, going to Tanzania next week with a girl I met from London and a couple of her American friends....free room and board!! o yeah! Can't wait :)

Lastly, as many of you have warned, I am still very alert and aware of my surroundings. The embassy is a nice run away and I know that I am still in Africa. I will continue to watch my back but am so grateful that I was not scared out of this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment