Monday, December 7, 2009

Caught in the act...

Tonight I went to a screening of a film called, My Neighbor, My Killer, with two of my roommates (Rachel and Sam). It was an interesting film offering a different angle than As We Forgive. Rather than focus on repentance, forgiveness and reconciliation, this film followed a village through their experiences at Gacaca. The Gacaca is basically a community court room. The perpetrators that were released are forced to face the community and the survivors are their judge and jury who determine what their sentence will be. The perpetrators stand up in front of the counsel and the survivors stand up and testify against the perpetrators. The perpetrators then either deny or confirm the claims. Once everyone has spoken, the counsel gives them their sentence – freedom or additional jail time.

To be honest, the film was rather depressing. Most, if not all, of the survivors interviewed basically said that it didn't matter if the perpetrators were released and killed them because they were already dead. They said they almost hoped they would come back and finish the job. I'm sure a significant percentage of the survivor population feels that way, as they have lost everything, but I'm over here in la la land watching amazing things happen with repentance, forgiveness and reconciliation that it's almost easy to forget the immense, inconsolable pain felt by so many (especially those without a God).

The film was thought-provoking to say the least. My roommates and I had a great discussion regarding the possibility of true reconciliation and whether it is better to talk about all of this horror or just let it die with that generation. I have my own opinions (of course) but I don't want to bore you with them right now but I'd be happy to discuss when I get home.

After the film my roomies filled up on snacks and had a couple drinks. When we were leaving they decided that it would be a good idea to take a couple beers home with us. One of us, Sam, was able to slip one in her purse but Rachel was having some issues so asked me to grab one for her. I didn't plan on taking my own so didn't think it would be problem. I don't know what we were thinking to have me, the tallest, whitest, brightest haired person in the room, take the beer but it seemed like a good idea at the time. So, me being my incredibly smooth self, unzips my purse and on the way out attempts to put it in my bag (which I thought I almost missed). Well, I made it down one step before being followed out and told that I could not bring that out of the hall. Of course the first time I attempt to take booze semi-illegally, I get caught! I should have known though because they are always watching me like a hawk...every where I go!!! But, we all got a good laugh and there was no jail time so it was worth it :)

That's all I got. LOVE YOU.

2 comments:

  1. Kate... I can't believe I forgot the "how to get a bottle out of the bar" lesson before you left. I blame myself.
    Other than that, I have to admit that I had a ton of catching up to do tonight and I was so happy to hear about the amazing things you've been doing. A few takeaways,
    1) Ants prolly do give each other a "what up" in passer-by. Why wouldn't they?
    2) That bus ride sounds insane. Kind of like a bus ride I took to Jamaica Center in Queens when I was 13. But seriously, you can tell yourself that hopefully you’ve gotten through the toughest part already.
    3) You have some great ideas for humanity out there; I'll be excited to help out. Not that anyone is more important than another but I really like the parks & rec idea.
    4) The healing process for these people sounds like a 4th dimension the extreme majority of people wouldn't be able to understand. It must be so intense to be a part of.
    Continue to enjoy. We miss you and look forward to your return.
    Question: Did you bring the Christmas sweater with you? We’re trying to decide who’s going to wear it this year.
    Max

    ReplyDelete